Monday, January 19, 2009

Corn, Sausage and Potato Chowder

Adapted from Food Blogga

1 tablespoon butter
1 cup yellow onion, chopped
2 cups Yukon Gold potatoes, chopped
2 cups vegetable broth (I used chicken because that's what I had and that's how I cook!)
2 cups fresh corn kernels (can use frozen or canned as well)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper
2 cups low-fat milk
1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
1 package fully cooked sausage (I prefer Aidell's Chicken and Apple)

In a deep pot over medium-high heat, melt butter. Saute onions for 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add potatoes and broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; add corn kernels, cayenne, salt, and black pepper, and stir well. Cook until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Add the milk, cheddar cheese, and parsley. Turn off heat and allow chowder to cool for 5-10 minutes.

Can be pureed in 2 batches or puree one batch and leave some chunks in there. This is how my hubby prefers things so I leave some big chunks for him!

No comments: